As I mentioned in last week’s blog, my new productivity overhaul is based on my personality type and strengths. In theory, my plan should work for me (If I don’t sabotage myself :)). Taking psychometric assessments and studying the results really opened my eyes. It helped me understand why someone else’s advice or way of doing things doesn’t work for me.
I’m not purposely high maintenance. 🙂
On her website, my Write Better Faster instructor, R.L. Syme, recommends these free tests:
Under Myers-Briggs, my personality type is INFJ. The test results stated – “Author.” (Well, whattayouknow?) In addition to being an introvert, I have a strong drive and enjoyment in helping others. It also said I have a complex personality. No news flash there. 🙂 My type is only 1.5% of the population!
Under the DISC test, I tested high in steadiness, low in dominance and mid scores in compliance and influence. In addition to being patient, calm and controlled, I’m comfortable working alone. In addition to these behaviors, I work best in a steady, regular environment rather than picking up and working somewhere on a whim. It explains why I can’t write in Starbucks.
In her Write Better Faster class, Syme goes into much more detail. I highly recommend the class. I mean… really. It was all so fascinating to me. While I knew some of the data, the areas I didn’t know gave me some new direction and focus.
In addition to the free tests above, she also recommends Gallup’s paid Strengthsfinder test. At only $15.00, I felt it was well worth the cost.
Here are my top five strengths according to the test:
1. Achiever – PEOPLE EXCEPTIONALLY TALENTED IN THE ACHIEVER THEME WORK HARD AND POSSESS A GREAT DEAL OF STAMINA. THEY TAKE IMMENSE SATISFACTION IN BEING BUSY AND PRODUCTIVE.
2. Responsibility – PEOPLE EXCEPTIONALLY TALENTED IN THE RESPONSIBILITY THEME TAKE PSYCHOLOGICAL OWNERSHIP OF WHAT THEY SAY THEY WILL DO. THEY ARE COMMITTED TO STABLE VALUES SUCH AS HONESTY AND LOYALTY.
3. Developer – PEOPLE EXCEPTIONALLY TALENTED IN THE DEVELOPER THEME RECOGNIZE AND CULTIVATE THE POTENTIAL IN OTHERS. THEY SPOT THE SIGNS OF EACH SMALL IMPROVEMENT AND DERIVE SATISFACTION FROM EVIDENCE OF PROGRESS.
4. Learner – PEOPLE EXCEPTIONALLY TALENTED IN THE LEARNER THEME HAVE A GREAT DESIRE TO LEARN AND WANT TO CONTINUOUSLY IMPROVE. THE PROCESS OF LEARNING, RATHER THAN THE OUTCOME, EXCITES THEM.
5. Restorative – PEOPLE EXCEPTIONALLY TALENTED IN THE RESTORATIVE THEME ARE ADEPT AT DEALING WITH PROBLEMS. THEY ARE GOOD AT FIGURING OUT WHAT IS WRONG AND RESOLVING IT.
Invest in Yourself
The test provides some terrific tools including insights and action planning guides on how best to utilize your strengths. You can even hire someone like R.L. Syme to be your personal strengths coach. Understanding how you are wired to succeed is a vital piece of information, people. Invest in yourself!
Next week, I’ll go into my morning ritual.
Til then… Fasten Your Seatbelts…
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. – Oscar Wilde